Philodendron Poisonous To Dogs: What You Need To Know

Plants Poisonous to Dogs in the West The Dog People by
Plants Poisonous to Dogs in the West The Dog People by from www.rover.com

Introduction

If you own a dog and have indoor plants, it’s important to know which plants can be harmful to your furry friend. One such plant is the philodendron. In this article, we’ll discuss what makes philodendrons poisonous to dogs, the symptoms of philodendron poisoning, and what to do if you suspect your dog has ingested some.

What Makes Philodendrons Poisonous to Dogs?

Philodendrons contain a chemical compound called calcium oxalate crystals. When dogs ingest philodendron leaves or stems, these crystals can cause irritation and swelling of the mouth, tongue, and throat. In severe cases, the swelling can lead to difficulty breathing, which can be life-threatening.

Watch Video

Symptoms of Philodendron Poisoning in Dogs

If your dog has ingested philodendron, you may notice the following symptoms:

  • Irritation and swelling of the mouth, tongue, and throat
  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of appetite
  • Difficulty breathing

These symptoms can appear within a few hours of ingestion.

What to Do If Your Dog Ingests Philodendron

If you suspect your dog has ingested philodendron, it’s important to act quickly. Call your veterinarian immediately and provide as much information as possible, including the amount of philodendron ingested and when it was ingested. Your veterinarian may recommend inducing vomiting or giving your dog activated charcoal to help absorb the toxins.

Preventing Philodendron Poisoning

The best way to prevent philodendron poisoning in dogs is to keep philodendrons out of their reach. If you have indoor plants, make sure they are kept in areas that are inaccessible to your dog. You can also consider replacing philodendrons with non-toxic plants.

See also  House Plants Not Poisonous To Cats

Conclusion

Philodendrons are a popular indoor plant, but they can be harmful to dogs if ingested. If your dog has ingested philodendron, it’s important to act quickly and seek veterinary care. By keeping philodendrons out of your dog’s reach and replacing them with non-toxic plants, you can help prevent philodendron poisoning in dogs.

Read Also: Low Light Ferns Houseplants: Bringing Life To Your Home

For plant ideas, You can find many ideas on the topic philodendron, dogs, poisonous, and many more on the internet, but in the post of Philodendron Poisonous To Dogs: What You Need To Know we have tried to select the best visual idea about plant ideas You also can look for more ideas on plant ideas category apart from the topic Philodendron Poisonous To Dogs: What You Need To Know.

This post published on . Read or find other post and pictures about plant ideas.

Philodendron Poisonous To Dogs: What You Need To Know Gallery


Sharing is Caring
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments